Saturday, October 09, 2010

Kimchi and more

In between bouts of laundry and  The Hills reruns, I managed a thought of kimchi outage on our table for the past weeks (or has it been months?). We sure had our constant supply from my mother-in-law replenished every so often but the last time she returned our huge plastic container, it was not the cabbage kimchi I expected but radish or chonggak kimchi which I cannot stand! I love our regular cabbage or paechu  kimchi which I helped make for the first time last November along with my omonim's ajumma neighbors! That was my first daunting task as a dutiful daughter in law. :) And mind you, my MIL's kimchi is the best surpassing the restaurants' deliriously MSG filled goodness. Legend has it that my husband couldn't eat kimchi in his friends' houses when he was young.

I understood it's not kimchi making season yet so I opted to buy pre-packaged, over-priced cabbage kimchi from Lotte Mart. I definitely can never stand the chonggak kimchi's bitter taste and dreadful smell when taken out of the fridge. To date, we don't own a kimchi refrigerator as we're getting the stash from the mother ship (a.k.a. in-law's house and farm) along with other vegetables and rice. They live just about 5 minutes by car so it's almost just a trip down to my neighborhood sari-sari store! We're truly blessed to have in laws providing us with our basic needs as a newly-married couple. Btw, my neophyte tip to remedy the awful kimchi smell not to dominate your entire fridge or the kitchen for that matter is to cover the container first with plastic or saran wrap before putting on the lid.

So what takes me to this point is this news article I've read a few days back on Chinese cabbage price hike affecting Korea's staple food for next year. The culprit it says is the unusual weather conditions that we are experiencing. True enough, it's almost we're skipping fall season this year with unusually cool to cold temperatures come nightfall and early mornings.
Read full article on JoonAng Daily Cabbage crisis causes kimchi crunch. To quote "Even the Blue House has been hit. President Lee Myung-bak has switched from kimchi made from Chinese cabbages to European cabbages..."

Now, who knows the relation between Heidi and cabbages? kidding...lolz!

6 comments:

jehan said...

hi April!

my husband is also abstaining from paechu/cabbage kimchi. i told him it's about time he learn how to live without it, kkk.. he now misses going to baguio wet market and the trading post near our home back in benguet. he couldn't help but compare the prices, haha.

2 sundays ago too, we joined their company sportsfest and there were lots of yeolmu kimchi (which i love) delivered for consumption but he tried asking the ajumma to give him some, aba binigyan din naman. pinagalitan ko nga kase mukha kaming pulubi.. kkk

:::April::: said...

hi jehan,
that's great that your husband is trying not to eat cabbage kimchi sa mahal ba naman ng cabbage ngayon! my husband can eat other varities as well but I can't! =) i should learn to develop a taste for them yet.

don't worry na mukha kayong pulubi! just visit Homeplus agawan ang free taste palagi! hehe...yung asawa ko pa usually tumutulak sakin maki free-taste ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi Ms. April,

I love kimchi too especially the sour one. but like you, i don't have appetite for the raddish kimchi.

About the smell it creates in the refrigerator which also makes other food especially the water tastes like kimchi, I just discovered one good way to get rid of this.

Most coffee shops, especially Tom & Toms, are giving out for free their used ground coffee bean. You can get it from the rack where they usually put the water, straws and table napkins.

Anyway, when we put it inside the refrigerator, i was very surprised that the kimchi smell completely disappeared! Try it! I felt so relieved after that! This has been my problem ever since I came to Korea. I used to live in a single room officetel (before marrying my husband) where there are no divisions for kitchen, bed, dining table, etc. and I remember waking up in the middle of the night, irritated over the smell of kimchi my then boyfriend's mother gave me.

:::April::: said...

anonymous,

thanks for the tip! i'll definitely try it out!

melancholic toronto said...

Why myself can't get used to eat kimchi? Im having a hard time to eat them since it has bad odor(sorry for the word) and its so spicy.

Manila Wedding Suppliers said...

I want to taste the kimchi !!