Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Tita Cory

The tearful Philippine skies were almost like a prelude to the Filipinos mourning over Cory Aquino's passing. From the first day of our week-long trip down to the last, the skies were all but gloomy. Our beach front rooms in Boracay were of no use except for viewing the swaying coconut trees. The pool-resort I reserved in Bacolod only served as backdrop to the daily downpour. Nevertheless, the trip was a memorable one for all of us. With some major and minor nuances also meant to be forgotten. Still, I'm thankful that we're back in Korea all in one piece.

On our last day, Sunday, we took Cebu Pacific's first flight out from Bacolod to Manila (better early than rushing to our flight back to Korea at around 3pm). I was still heady and delirius while chatting with my friend Dulce whom we met in Makati. And when the newspaper-boy passed by with this image on the front page I just gasped like I completely understood it. And my friend confirmed, 'Yes,
day...last night'. (Btw, no newspapers on Cebu Pacific's discounted flights on economy class, local and international...nor food and water! buti na lang may upuan! hehe...)


Here are some photos from The Philippine Star's inside spread tribute.

1986 Inauguration and People Power Rallies.

Cory and Ninoy's Wedding Day in 1954.

Cory as a young Kulasa. She was valedictorian in elementary school.

Prayer for a Happy Death
by Corazon C. Aquino

(written while she was still in good health.
from The Philippine Star August 2, 2009)


Almighty God, most merciful Father
You alone know the time
You alone know the hour
You alone know the moment
When I shall breathe my last.

So, remind me each day,
Most loving Father
To be the best that I can be.
To be humble, to be kind,
To be patient to be true
To embrace what is good,
To reject what is evil,
To adore only You.

When that final moment does come,
Let not my loved ones grieve for long.
Let them comfort each other
And let them know how happiness
They brought into my life.
Let them pray for me,
As I will continue to pray for them,
Hoping that they will always pray for each other

Let them know that they made possible
Whatever good I offered in our world.
And let them realize that our separation
Is just for a short while
As we prepare for our reunion in eternity.

Our Father in heaven,
You alone are my hope,
You alone are my salvation.
Thank you for your unconditional love.
Amen.

Farewell, Tita Cory!
Thank you for making us believe in Democracy.
May your legacy remain in all of us.

7 comments:

wendy said...

hey, welcome back. you're here on august 15. join ka sa amon at 2pm. kung pwede ka, tell me so i could send you the details, ok?

:::April::: said...

thanks cher and wendy!

@ wendy sure, I'd be honored to join you guys! btw, i left my number in the contact form in your blog. hope you found that! tnx!

Cher@SurvivingKorea said...

hi if you will go to wendy's get together what if we go together?....we are just a couple of subway stations apart,,,kkk

wendy said...

ay, ang galing magkalapit lang kayo. see you both:-)

Cher@SurvivingKorea said...

i live VERY NEAR ganeung station(a station away from uijeongbu st.)...maybe we can meet at this station instead

Cher@SurvivingKorea said...

2 subway stations apart lang pla tayo

:::April::: said...

sure no prob! :) see you!