Friday, March 06, 2009

RIP FrancisM

I still can't get over the news on Francis M.'s death due to leukemia yesterday. I heard about his sickness last year but I couldn't imagine him dying. He is truly a big loss to the Philippine music industry. I thought he was so cool back then when with his haircut na 'pang-adik' in the 80's. He was the lone deviant from the Bagets barkada, all with wholesome, pretty boy looks. His fame catapulted when he released his album Yo! with the now classic hit "Mga Kababayan". Everyone in my 5th grade class could memorize this! This paved the way of other rap/hip-hop acts like Michael V. , Andrew E., Mastaplann and one too many artists (now mostly inactive) to the mainstream. But his talents go way beyond with his numerous causes and collaborations with other artists. His Multiply account chronicles his life events and thoughts until the very end, the last entry asking for prayers for his 4th chemo cycle. He may too young to die, but truly it was a life very well lived.

Watching his music videos in Youtube made me teary-eyed for a moment. I like this Kaleidoscope World live session with Parokya ni Edgar.


As they say, RIP or Rap in PEACE!

No comments: